Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Journal Entry Highlights

Since I haven´t been consistent in updating my blog while in the Galapagos I thought I´d include some excerpts from my personal journal:

*Tourism is a weird form of voyeurism. All these people live their day to day lives in places I consider exotic and want to learn from. But all I´m seeing is just a slightly different / more impoverished version of what I´m doing. We´re all people and therefore we are all subject to the laws of human nature. We may come in slightly different cultural packages but we share the same basic wants and needs. The most I can do is alter the scenery in order to focus on what is important instead of getting caught up in society´s artificially constructed values.

*I´ve realized that (so far) the places I like the best - Vilcabamba, Galapagos - are places that remind me of home. I have to be somewhere with a lot of nature, not too many people, a laid back/artsy community feel and fascinating residents.

*I think I´m getting more serious about pursuing journalism as a career. I love to observe people, places and experiences and then write about it. All I need is guidance and discipline, which I suppose is what I´m lacking in most of my pursuits that founder.

*Things I´m loving on this trip (inspired by the first two items on the list which I am enjoying right now): breezes on a warm day, good music that goes with the mood, girlfriends, food that is not chicken and rice, books, full days, dancing, laughing, snorkeling, aloe vera, people, home, reminders that money is of minimal importance, how I feel after hiking, stars, never knowing what time it is (and that not mattering), showers and cold water.

No comments: