Friday, December 26, 2008

Feliz Navidad.

Where to begin? I suppose by wishing you all happy holidays. Personally, I feel like I´ve kind of skipped them. My Christmas was the most uneventful ever, consisting of Macaroni and Cheese on Christmas eve and the sad discovery on Christmas day that the champagne I had bought was accidently drunk by someone else. But I´m actually very happy. While I must admit the season has got me thinking about Juneau a fair amount, I´ve pretty much become content traveling alone. I´m still in Trujillo actually, in a lovely hospedaje that until today only housed myself, a french girl, and a man from Denmark. We sat around on Christmas eve waiting for midnight, where in Peru everyone lights firecrackers. Other then there being hardly anyone on the streets on Christmas, it seemed like a pretty average day to me. All I did was buy a strawberry daquiri and a dessert which I decided to give to a homeless lady and her kids because they needed it more than me.

The picture you see above is of ceviche - raw fish and onions - which I ate at this little beach town 20 minutes from here. I also took a surfing lesson which quickly shattered my dreams of being a natural when I was pummeled by waves and never managed to stand up on the board. What else since I last wrote? I suppose I´ll just give you a quick rundown. Lev, a friend from Juneau who is traveling South met up with me in Huanchaco, the beach town right next door. We crashed a local party one night and ended up in a bar with live music drinking sangria and having a grand old time. I also saw some more ruins (Chan-Chan), went dancing, experienced what it´s like to work out in a Peruvian gym, made friends with a local tour guide and then ended that relationship a few days later by slapping him across the face after he seriously insulted me. I´ve sort of had it with these Peruvian men.

Hmm, the truth is that throughout the week I´ve had all kinds of great ideas for blog entries but at the moment I´m feeling like I have so many observations to make that instead I´m making none at all. I think it´s more effective if I write smaller entries but more often.

So sorry this is a bit boring, but stay tuned for the next entry where I will recount the spirit quest I´m about to go on with shamans in Huancabamba. Tonight I leave on a 16-hour bus ride to make it to this region famed for its healers and witch doctors. After that I´ll be in Mancora, another beach town that looks to be a good place to party on New Year´s.





Peruvian hairless dogs, which are protected. Yes, they are rather creepy looking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good entry, Lauren- funny I was just reading about ceviche today in a cooking magazine- how did it taste? In terms of Peruvian men, remember our talk ... lots of cultural differences and resulting different expectations, many of which you may not see coming until they hit you in the face. Remember, caution is not the same as suspicion but the former is important when one travels, particularly as a young single and attractive woman (that would be YOU!)

We miss you lots- tons of new snow here. Luke went skiing and loved it. Looks like snowboarding is out these days. Talk soon, much love and hugs.

Anonymous said...

hi sissy um the are wierd lookin dogs but.... they are kinda kool anyway um... oh and that @!*%# deserved it!

I hope that you come back soon cus i miss u and yeah um yeah.

miss you,
your loving bro LUKE

Anonymous said...

Dear LoLo's,

~ I am, as before, delighted to read your blog-entry. i think that you're on the right road (uh, at least figuratively; I'll leave the map-reading to you). Each day sounds like an adventure to me; even a slow day for you (there) sounds like something more fascinating than most people experience). Anyway, I'm glad for you; and btw - this cross-culture gender-role thing seems to have gotten close to dangerous; e.g. slapping can quickly lead to more trouble. I'd say: more discretion; & (much) less initial enthusiasm.

~ Olga leaves in the morning for Spain (2+ mths). Christmas was fun, and about 12 people cam over for chow -- Happy New Years, dear.

Signed, Exalted Ruler of the Independent Kingdom of Douglas

Anonymous said...

I think the dogs are adorable...

Bring me back a hairless puppy.

Just kidding.

You can definitely not bring me back a Peruvian man.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! It will be one you remember, so I hope its awesome.
I can't really believe you ate raw fish... Are you changing as a person?

Love you long time! Rosie

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on all your blog entries...I have really enjoyed them, thanks for taking the time to write a blog, its great to read it, and from my own travel blog writing attempts, it gives you a record that is defiantly different from what you may write in your own journal. You mentioned in this one how sometimes you feel as if you have so much to write that you end up writing nothing, I often feel that way when I neglect my journal for a while... its that never ending battle between if I should catch up my journal or write what is on my mind at that moment.

I look forward to hearing about you New Year's adventures and trip with the shaman and the witchdoctors. I just finished a Hispanic Literature in Translation class, and from a literature standpoint I found that aspect of their culture extremely interesting and intriguing, I look forward to hearing about it from your perspective.

itb,
Kelsey T.